[TR] Wire Rim Maintenance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Wire Rim Maintenance
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:59:46 +0000 (UTC)
Thread-index: AdFnUc4jf3gzvcjXRQqrk15IWVNNS+rN/8c9 s=q20140121; t=1455490787; bh=vLViE+gIIJRH5f6w+cv470dG6vRcyC/GmBwwMyHm0bY=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=IclaKewo5OvLyQiIEn2N3ReZyYaQh5YGtbrS3GvR0dwJBodeqwKOLdZ9qP6XsNiau N92Y03n/uCF5P/kTpxF8t8u2wspe6GYpcIUcjXZeK8DAzqvgOuuD3PdWU9F56ncFvM 6FkEns0vHq4N8Clv2uNJZJTJCQU4ZqCu2ZV3PbIMjSUvY+pwnJaXKPhQYKXVUi4D42 /UvISpKef5uDoolHHrew/1QMH1M8TDfFGtLG33N+MWDSObYYgsbNa+LlgV/17ydBZu cg+3Mhdq2jO079ZYdiQe6NpDGO3Tz0eivzkUutB/A2y5mz/ZhFs9fg2DJdeV52nPLp zgT1esDmS/3wQ==
Hello everyone.  Nice feeling.  Seasonal maintenance done and now on to
reinstalling the wire wheels.  Coupla thoughts or questions.

First, while they were off, I cleaned the wire wheels front and back with
Simple Green and a toothbrush, then took to a car wash to follow up with a
pressure spray.  It being 20 below zero in NH today, the first stall's pressure
hose was frozen solid, so lost $3.00 when it wouldn't work.  Second stall
worked fine, but on inspection back in my heated garage (I do like a heated
garage!), the area right behind the first spokes are still dirty.  Toothbrush
won't fit.  Thoughts?

Second, I'm waiting for the ice caked on the rims to melt.  Good news about 20
below zero is that the ice forms seconds after a hot spray, meaning that the
ice in the pick up bed and the ice on the wheels never have a chance to meld
together.  Would have been interesting if the wheels had frozen to the bed
until spring.

Meanwhile, am prepping the splines on the car sing Anti-Seize.  I have used
copper lube in the past to good effect, but wheels are stiff coming off after a
couple of years.  Have also used grease, but this also seems to harden over
time and is a messy clean up before reinstall.  Have also used Anti-Seize, used
sparingly, and seems maybe a bit better than the other two.  Was wondering
about a light oil?  Thoughts?

By the way, went to Market Basket today to shop the grocery sales.  In the
men's room, a man said to a couple of us other stringers, "Happy Valentines
Day!"  Question:  In the men's room, isn't that just wrong somehow????

Happy Sunday, everyone.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667 almost buttoned up for spring.
New Hampshire

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive