Re: [TR] Info. on Towing a Spitfire

To: "'Bud R'" <levilevi@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Info. on Towing a Spitfire
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 07:14:31 -0800
> I got no reports of anyone having an actual problem with a
> transmission not being lubricated when flat towing. But maybe I just
> haven't heard from those folks.

Not a Spitfire, and I'm not certain how far it was towed with the rear wheels
on the ground.  But I have the remains of a TR3
transmission that was apparently ruined by flat towing.  The mainshaft was blue
where it engages with the bearing to the input shaft
(which I now use as a clutch alignment tool), and scored from running in the
dry bushings.

Even with Russian Roulette, you've got a 5 out of 6 chance.
Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive