Re: [TR] 72" TR6 Engine Rebuild

To: Bob Rochlin <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>, Truiumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] 72" TR6 Engine Rebuild
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 19:22:55 -0500
Bob,

I did a 72 a few years back.

I replaced:

Main and small end bearings.
Front and rear seal
Rings
Had the block hot tanked and cylinders honed. They had zero wear.
Head hot tanked and shaved a bit to insure it was flat, with new
hardened exhaust seats installed. Bronze valve guides. Valve job. Went
with original valves.
Crank just had the journals polished. All surfaces were at spec.
Steel front crank sealing block to replace the original aluminum one
which was stripped where the oil pan bolts attach.
Also:

Flywheel resurfaced.
Exhaust manifold jet hot coated.
Upgraded thrust washers from Wishbone.
Rebuilt distributor from Advanced with micro advance/retard added (like
on the 3 and 4)
Hitachi SU HS6 carburators from Paltech. (I am SU thru and thru) Didnt
want to have to learn ZS.

Had the cam journals polished. Did not add bearings.

Stayed with the original lifters, rockers, push rods.

great oil flow to the rockers.

Got a Justin Wagner valve cover gasket. But they are now NLA.

Electric fuel pump with regulator.

I just finished my 3rd season and the engine runs just great. Oil
pressure runs about 70PSI when hot at about 2K RPM. Drops to about 40 -
45 at idle.
Runs cool and sounds great with the Bell dual exhaust system.

Starts right up and idles at 700 RPM after warming up.

I have to say rebuilding a 6 engine seemed easier than the 3 or 4 engines.

Bob

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive