[TR] Compression check: what does this mean?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Compression check: what does this mean?
From: "Ed Oot" <eoot@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:16:40 -0400
59 TR3A

Symptoms:

Suddenly started to run poorly at low RPM under load.

Blowing smoke from both the vent tube and exhaust

Procedure:

Reset valve clearance to 11 thousandths across the board

Static set the timing to 4 degrees BTDC

Warmed the engine

Pulled all plugs

Dry checked and then wet checked with the following results:

1)      D 152     W 170

2)      D 152     W 165

3)      D 120     W 140

4)      D 155     W 180

Do I have a broken ring on #3?  Also noted that when I pulled the plugs
after warm up that the #3 was wet. Not sure best approach.  I'm quessing the
engine was last rebuilt around 1990, and has maybe as much as 50K miles.

Thanks in advance for advice

Ed

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive