Re: [TR] su carb rebuild

To: "'oliver'" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] su carb rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 19:17:30 -0800
> hi.  apparently I need to rebuild the carbs
>
> never btdt - should I tackle it?

Not too bad, IMO, if you leave the throttle shafts alone.  Hardest part is
getting the jet centered again (which I find is a try and retry process to
get it centered and the nut tight at the same time).

> cars been sitting for 20+ years and the carbs leak
> fuel out
> the little hoses above the float bowls

That probably doesn't even merit a rebuild.  Most likely the float valves
are blocked open by some crud, just cleaning them may solve the problem.  I
would also change all the soft fuel lines, as they are most likely not
ethanol-resistant (and 20 years is time to replace them anyway).

To clean the valve, you remove the lines and unscrew the nut on the top of
the float bowl.  It's a Whitworth size, but usually a small adjustable (aka
Crescent) wrench will turn it without damage.  Then lift the lid off and
turn it over.  Pull out the pin for the fork and remove the fork.  Now you
can turn the lid back over and dump the needle out in your hand.  Shoot some
carb cleaner through the valve, and look inside to see that the seat is
shiny all around.  Wipe the needle off and reassemble.

There is a gasket that goes between the float lid and the chamber, but it is
almost always reusable.  If not, you can rob one from a rebuild kit, or I
believe Moss & TRF sell the gasket separately.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive