[TR] TR2 Progess - part 2

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR2 Progess - part 2
From: Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 13:17:44 -0400
--===============1284424697==

--20cf3071c7066025fc04a48178ae

TR2 update - part 2

Sunday -  Paul had an old cross shaft, a new cross shaft and a new clutch
fork he ordered for another club member - I picked them up.  One of the guys
came over to help put the transmission back in - Turns out cross shaft
replacement was either drilled wrong or the Early tr2 transmission is
different. The new one would not allow the relase bearing on the fork - off
center.  The old cross shaft worked but bound up when the retaining bolt was
inserted.   Since the bearing holds the shaft centered we moved on without
bolt.  I wished I'd driven out the cross shaft bushing and inserted it back
180 so grease would mo better.  Transmission went in without a hitch.
 noticed the transmission seems a bit well worn - no need to lift to get
into reverse....  We'll see. Also Wrapped up front brakes, too.

This weekend - installed  master cylinder connected up all lines;  adjusted
pedals and bled.  Same for clutch;  Could not get any fuel to pump.  Took
airhose and put my had around gas tank and blew - was enought to blow gas
out near the pump --  old flex line was holy and thats why pump was not
working and my gas valve started leaking - my patch did not have longevity.
 bypassed for now.

Next was to free up carb linkage - turns out accelerator cross shaft was
rusted and frozen - had to take that apart Clean and grease - what a pain!

Cranked it - got oil pressure - hot wired it and it runs.   Idles quite
well.   Took it out in the neighborhood - runs about as well as it stops.
 The brake shoes are contaminated with oil and need replacing - 10 inch on
front 9 inch on rear.  It did not rev up well, I'm grabbing a beer and will
go out and try to time it.   Transmission is very loud - but the hump is not
installed...

But I did drive it - and somehow - it looks much better than it did just a
few weeks ago. So nice to be part of a car club - That was enough to get me
off my butt and get that thing going.

Chris

--20cf3071c7066025fc04a48178ae

ss shaft, a new cross shaft and a new clutch fork he ordered for another cl=
ub member - I picked them up. =A0One of the guys came over to help put the =
transmission back in -=A0Turns out cross shaft replacement was either drill=
ed wrong or the Early tr2=A0transmission=A0is different. The new one would =
not allow the relase bearing on the fork - off center. =A0The old cross sha=
ft worked but bound up when the retaining bolt was inserted. =A0 Since the =
bearing holds the shaft centered we moved on without bolt. =A0I wished I&#3=
9;d driven out the cross shaft bushing and inserted it back 180 so grease w=
ould mo better. =A0Transmission went in without a hitch. =A0noticed the tra=
nsmission seems a bit well worn - no need to lift to get into reverse.... =
=A0We&#39;ll see. Also=A0Wrapped up front brakes, too.=A0</div>

p all lines; =A0adjusted pedals and bled. =A0Same for clutch; =A0Could not =
get any fuel to pump. =A0Took airhose and put my had around gas tank and bl=
ew - was enought to blow gas out near the pump -- =A0old flex line was holy=
 and thats why pump was not working and my gas valve started leaking - my p=
atch did not have longevity. =A0bypassed for now.=A0</div>

lerator cross shaft was rusted and frozen - had to take that apart Clean an=
ure - hot wired it and it runs. =A0 Idles quite well. =A0 Took it out in th=
e neighborhood - runs about as well as it stops. =A0The brake shoes are con=
taminated with oil and need replacing - 10 inch on front 9 inch on rear. =
=A0It did not rev up well, I&#39;m grabbing a beer and will go out and try =
to time it. =A0 Transmission is very loud - but the hump is not installed..=
.</div>

triumphs@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive