Re: [TR] =?utf-8?q?Electronic_ignition_systems?=

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] =?utf-8?q?Electronic_ignition_systems?=
From: "lists" <lists@brits-n-pieces.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2010 08:51:16 +0200
The 123ignition is quite a clever switch, which measures the energy taken by
the coil on each firing. It adjusts the "dwell angle" on each stroke so that
your coil neither heats up on low revs nor is undersupplied with energy on high
revs. It cuts out the current from the coil after the engine has come to a rest
even if you forget to switch off the ignition key. It eliminates all the
disadvantages of shaft wobble and worn out springs and weights in the dizzy
simply because it is triggered by hall effect and does not have any springs and
weights. It doesn't need a crank trigger, it is more or less a plug & play
system with all the electronics built into the dizzy housing. The advance curve
is taken from a programmed matrix and you have no moving parts inside the dizzy
except of the shaft and rotor. You can either select one of 16 pre-programmed
advance curves by turning a little rotary switch (123ignition version) or by
storing two advance curves to your like into the eprom (via USB-cable) of the
dizzy (123\TUNE version). These two curves can be switched during driving and
can be replaced as often as you want. The software which can be downloaded for
free has a so-called tuning-mode, which allows the (co-)driver to change the
advance curve while the car is running under several load and rpm situations.
The timing (rpm- and loadwise) can be optimized in dashboard mode with the help
of an implemented stopwatch. These features can save a lot of dyno hours. The
price is higher than most of these Pertronix units, but stays well in the 3
digit $s. Ok, it is not made in the US, but Europe, which is far away from Asia.

If you have any questions on the above described ignition systems, just ask me
via info[at]brits-n-pieces.com. I'll be more than happy to answer them. I hope
you don't mind this shameless self-promotion but I thought this might be of
interest to all of you.

Eric
Brits'n'Pieces
www.brits-n-pieces.com