[TR] spark jump

To: email list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] spark jump
From: Anthony Cascio <allegrorover@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:24:17 -0400
List,
I am having trouble getting the 3 running right.
The car runs good for about one or two miles then it starts to skip real bad.
I changed plugs, cap, rotor and wires and it did the same thing.
I am running the fireball electronic ignition.
When I ran my hand over the wires I got zapped, then I placed an insulated pair
of pliers around the area where the wires come out of the cap and on the lower
two wires spark jumped to the pliers.
I put the old cap and wires on and it did the same thing, again on the lower
two wires only and right next to the cap where the wire comes out.
I have a new Pertronix that I purchased from TRF and that wouldn't even fire
the car, I got really fed up with that thing and changed it back to the
Fireball, luckily I didn't remove the entire Fireball from the car so it was an
easy refit and the car fired right up.
BUT, I don't know what is causing the spark jump out of the wires.
Any thoughts???
It almost seems like there is too much voltage and it's going everywhere, I can
almost hear it sparking......

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47