Re: [TR] TR 3/4 camshaft wear

To: '"triumphs"' <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR 3/4 camshaft wear
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:01:17 -0700
> There's an engine rebuild sometime in the future but for now, how bad
> or not so bad are these measurements? What's the effect on performance?

I don't have a direct answer, Allen.  But the engine that was in my TR3A had
significant wear on the camshaft lobes, and still ran pretty darn good.
That includes winning my class at the only VTR autocross I ran it in; and
being clocked at 90mph by a CHP (while passing someone in heavy traffic).

I only got as far as checking lift on #2 exhaust, which was off by some
.020" at the lifter (which translates to some .030" at the valve).  There
was some loss in performance, but it didn't really show up until over 4500
rpm.  The engine would still pull out to redline (and beyond), but the power
was starting to fade @ 45 rather than still rising as it should.

-- Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html