Re: [TR] cam bearing set screws

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] cam bearing set screws
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:27:49 -0700
> The problem is that for all 3 bearings the cam bearing slightly
> covers the set screw holes such that I have a crescent moon shaped
> blockage.  So what do I do now?

I would first check that they are off-center enough to keep the pin from
going through the hole.  If so, take it back to the machine shop, ask them
to do it right.  It is something of a trial-and-error process, and it's
absolutely essential that the pin fit into the hole.

While I have resorted to drilling through a wrongly-installed insert, it was
in a situation where I had nothing to lose if it didn't work.  This is not
the kind of shortcut to be taking with a freshly rebuilt engine (or even one
you don't plan to replace soon).

-- Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html