[TR] Oil Pan Leak

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Oil Pan Leak
From: <bob@texmog.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:53:29 -0500
What am I doing wrong?
 I rebuilt my TR3 engine last spring. Having experienced problems with the
oil pan leaking in the past, I attempted to take extra pre-cautions to
prevent another stained garage floor. On completion the engine was dry,
displaying no oil leaks what so ever. After breaking in the engine I took a
3500 mile trip and by the time I got home I again had major leaks.
 Using a dye from NAPA I have traced the leaks down to three major areas:
Front flange and rear flange of the oil pan and the Fuel pump.

On the fuel pump, the oil is leaking out a weep hole under the diaphragm
just behind the hand lever pivot.

On the pan leaks I have double checked that the oil is not coming from the
timing chain cover or the rear seal ( removal of the bell housing plate
shows a clean flywheel with no signs of oil on it)

When I installed the pan I did the following

1. made sure that the flange was flat and hammered down any bolt holes which
were mushroomed.

2. Made my own gasket which is wider that the ones in the kits using a
rubberized gasket paper from NAPA

3. Used Permatex gray sealant on the pan and after placing the gasket on the
pan placed the pan with the gasket face down on a thick piece of glass to
dry.

4. Installed the Pan on the block using the same sealant.

5. Torqued the pan to 18-20 foot lbs

Any suggestions as to why it is now leaking again? Any suggestions as to a
fix for the fuel pump leak?

I would note that I had the Mains line bored but failed to have them
resurface the bottom of the block. This as resulted in a step of a couple
thou between the cap and the block. Seems to me that the sealant would have
no problem handling that type of gap. Also the engine runs beautifully with
no signs of excessive crank case pressure ( uses a draft tube not PVC valve)

Thanks for any help

Bob

PS Any reason not to use a cork gasket on the oil pan ?

 .

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net