Re: [TR] Piston Ring Replacement

To: akgraves@cox.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Piston Ring Replacement
From: Andrew Mace <zoboherald@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:10:20 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Art Graves <akgraves@cox.net>

I have a 1976 TR6...replaced the rings and rod bearings.  Before I did this
work I could
easily turn the crank (with plugs out) by pushing the car in 4th gear. Now
it is much more difficult, even with the head off.  In fact, by the time new
rings were on the third piston, turning the crank was more difficult....

==AM==
Art, please forgive me for stating the obvious; on the other hand, I've done
this myself. Did you make sure
the ring grooves on the pistons were scrupulously clean before installing the
new rings? That's the
mistake I once made years ago on a Volvo B-18 engine. :-( Thankfully, I was
able to rectify the problem
without ruining anything....

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net