Re: [TR] Rear shock mounting - TR2/3

To: Angelo Graham <agraham@execulink.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Rear shock mounting - TR2/3
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:27:03 +0000 (UTC)
--- "Angelo Graham" <agraham@execulink.com> wrote:

> Hello List:
> A question regarding the nut/bolt arrangement securing the rear
> shocks on the early cars. Has anyone substituted a different
> arrangement or type of fasteners for the shocks? The nylock nut is
> always a pain to get off and used a ground down socket to accomplish
> this. Someone had mentioned using cap-screws and nuts from the rear.
> Searched the archives and couldn't find anything on this. Any listers
>
> use a particular arrangement for this??

If the TR3 is like our TR4, there is no wrench clearance on the shock body for
the bolts that hold it to the frame.

Put a socket-head cap screw ("bolt" seems more appropriate for something this
large) through the shock body.  Use a nyloc nut on the frame side.  You can
either use a dedicated "allen" socket or just cut a piece of allen wrench and
stick is in a conventional socket wrench to tighten the bolt.

Phil "been there, done that, my wife wears the T-shirt" Ethier.

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net