Re: [TR] Markings on side of block TR3A

To: "'Anthony Cascio'" <allegrorover@mac.com>, "'email list'"
Subject: Re: [TR] Markings on side of block TR3A
From: "wbeech" <wbeech@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:30:17 -0600
Tony,

Yes, TR3 in orange paint on the side of the block behind the starter are
original Triumph markings.  My '58 block was so bad that I had to have it
completely boiled out and cleaned but I took some pictures and put the
lettering back as closely as possible.  I found that Chevrolet engine orange
is real close to that original color.

My understanding is that these are factory marks where they sorted the
blocks for their final application.  As you may know some engines went to
Morgan and some into the parts replacement channels, this is why your engine
number is higher than your commission number.

I do not know anything about the "BILOHROME" marking, could it be BILCHROME?
What I have been able to learn is that Bilchrome was a foundry, they cast
engine blocks for Perkins & Massey-ferguson, Rover and probably
Standard-Triumph as well. I don't know what they are called now, or if they
are still producing castings., maybe someone else on the list can enlighten
us all.

Bill B
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L
'59 TR-3A TS/64974 LO