Re: [TR] TR3 Tick Tick Tick

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Tick Tick Tick
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
> When applying additional throttle going up a hill the tick
> is very evident...  In my hill example, once the throttle
> is decreased a bit the tick goes away.

That's not quite what I meant by road speed vs. rpm.  What you describe is that
it is louder when the drivetrain is under accelerative stress (or non-existent
when it isn't).

What I meant can be checked only by shifting gears.  Shift gears but keep the
road speed more or less constant, but try to maintain however much acceleration
is needed to make the noise show up.  If the ticking frequency speed stays
about the same after you shift while you try to keep the car moving about the
same speed, then it is coming from the output shaft of the gearbox or the diff
or the rear axles, tires, etc.  If the ticking frequency changes noticeably,
faster or slower according to what the engine did, then it is coming from the
engine or the gearbox input shaft.
--
Jim Muller

http://www.vtr.org