[TR] Front Bearing Felt Seal

To: "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Front Bearing Felt Seal
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:43:29 -0400
OK folks.......we're having a discussion over in the 6-Pack Forum on the
correct way to install the felt seal that goes in the front hub next to the
bearings. When I installed Uncle Jack's stub axles he specifically told me
to install it with the felt pointing toward the vertical link/engine. One of
the guys in the Forum quoted Bentley & Haynes that said the felt goes
against the bearing. I emailed Tony Drews and Tony came up with Pros and
Cons about doing it either way. A Forum member emailed TRF, Moss, BPN and a
few other LBC places and got a split response of felt facing bearing and
felt facing vertical link. Everyone agrees about oiling the felt prior to
installation.

We also know all about the benefits of Chicago Rawhide's seals so we're just
focusing on the old fashioned felt ones that sit in a metal ring.

So what say the broader range of Triumph folks here on the Mail List.....
Felt facing the bearings or felt facing the vertical link? And is there a
mechanical/safety/scientific etc reason to support it?

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
Toyota 5 Speed & Nissan LSD