[TR] =?utf-8?q?Engine_Comparison=E2=80=94TR_4_Cyl_vs=2E_6_Cyl_Eng?=

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] =?utf-8?q?Engine_Comparison=E2=80=94TR_4_Cyl_vs=2E_6_Cyl_Eng?=
From: BigOldWumper@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:46:35 EST
Hopefully this question hasn't already been asked to death over the years...I
haven't been active on the list in eons. I am building a TR4A, and have
considered going the TR250 route and dropping a 6 cylinder in it, either a TR6
2.5L
or possibly a GT6 2.0L. I am trying to determine the relative merits of
Triumph's 4 cylinder "tractor" motor (TR2-4A) versus its later inline 6, both
in
terms of performance *potential* and reliability.

For example, what's the RPM limit/potential of either engine using a stock
(albeit possibly modified; shot- peened, heat treated, etc.) bottom end
(crank,
rods, etc.)? From what I've seen, the availability of performance parts for
either engine is actually quite vast, so that shouldn't be much of an issue,
but
I'd prefer to steer clear of extremely expensive forged rods and billet
cranks. That said, other more moderatly priced performance parts should be
considered in the comparison.

How about compressionbhow much compression can be had with these engines,
through milling the heads, decking the blocks, etc.? Do both engines have
quite a
bit of potential in that regard (octane requirements aside)? And as for
breathingbdoes one engine have a significantly better designed head
(combustion
chamber, ports, as well as intake manifold design, etc.) than the other? I
recall
reading once that Kas Kastner made mention of the GT6 engine being one of the
"sweetest engines [he'd] ever worked with." Liter for liter, cubic inch for
cubic inch, which engine has more power potential? Which engine is sweeter
running? And which engine has the reputation for beingboverallbmore
reliable? Any
insights would be much appreciated.

Ideas to please picky
eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.