[TR] Chroming and Other Resto-Disasters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Chroming and Other Resto-Disasters
From: cole.jw@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:47:29 +0000
 I have been mostly quiet on the list recently, but it doesn't mean nothing is
happening. I last reported in when I got my 1972 TR6 back from the paint shop.

 I have been reinstalling parts and waiting for my bumpers. I pick them up from
the plating shop on Friday. Two months and $1,165 for all sections of the rear
bumper, the front bumper and license plate light cover. It's supposed to be a
show-quality plating job. I'll know tomorrow.

 The whole process has been plagued with problems that should not be. Seat
padding and convertible top back-ordered, but no one bothered to tell me. They
just didn't show up. I had to call for that little tidbit.

 I was forced to use some of my old rubber seals, even though I bought new ones
from Victoria British. It seems that every rubber part I get from them is too
short. Even the replacement passenger's side crash pad was 2" too short,
leaving a gap. Judging by the labels on the bags, they should have called it
Victoria Taiwanese. Oh well. That's part of what makes a restoration a
challenge, huh?

 After all of this fun, I sure hope the bumpers look good. I am still on track
to have this TR6 on the road for summer. Maybe with old seat upholstery and no
top, but on the road, nonetheless.

Jerry

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net