Re: [TR] Oberg Tilt Sling

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Oberg Tilt Sling
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:30:55 -0500
--===============0536321095==

I don't use an Oberg myself, just a leveler bar, but it all works on the
same premise.

Releasing the lock lets you make adjustments.  The adjustment simply moves
the pulley system one way or the other on the cable, fore or aft.  Pull the
pulley system forward on cable and you'll get more engine weight to the
rear, and the rear of the engine will tilt down.

I can't tell from the picture if the unit uses a ratchet lock beyond the
external lock.  If it does not, be *REAL* careful when tilting, as it could
get away from you easily and drop the engine end down completely.  In fact,
if it can free wheel with that external lock off, I would not use it.  I'd
use something like this instead:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1022&N=700+4294860074+115&autoview=sku

To set it up, bolt the two cable ends down to the ends of the engine.  Then
roughly center the pulley over the center of the engine.  Hook it all up and
pull just a little tension.

Spin the ratchet each way a few times to see how far and how fast it moves
along the cable, and to familiarize yourself with how it works.

Then go ahead and unbolt and remove the engine.

If you're removing the engine and transmission as a unit, start with the
pulley roughly over the back half of the engine.  Lift slightly, wiggle
things lose, and adjust as necessary.

If you're removing just the engine, start with the pulley roughly centered
over the engine.  Lift slightly, wiggle things lose, and adjust as
necessary.