Re: [TR] Removing PCV system from TR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Removing PCV system from TR4A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:47:57 -0700
> First, I assume that I can't just remove the valve, and run
> some kind of hose/catch tank from the valve cover, or can I?

Sure, that will work as well as the original system did.

> Another option is to feed the crankcase into the air
> cleaners, like was done on the TR4.  Again, does this provide
> much "suction"?

Doesn't really provide any suction, but again, works OK.

> Installing the draft tube really isn't an option, unless
> someone has a trick to remove the plug with the engine still
> installed.

Haven't tried it myself, but it shouldn't be too hard.  Drive a screwdriver
through it and pry it out.

> So, has anyone "been there, done that" on this?  Or have any
> other ideas?

As long as there is a nice, big tube available, the blowby gases will push
themselves out of the crankcase and things will work reasonably well.  There
is no practical advantage to pulling a vacuum on the crankcase (or at least
not enough to worry about).

However, IMO, the optimum setup is a true positive crankcase ventilation
system, meaning there must be a fresh air intake as well as a vacuum
connection.  That way, fresh air is constantly being pulled in to replace
the blowby gasses, which reduce the tendency for acids & varnish to condense
out before they leave the crankcase.  The fresh air intake should be
filtered (to avoid pulling in dirt and dust with the air); and should also
provide for reverse flow for WOT operation.  But, this is a lot of extra
effort for not much practical gain : less pollution and perhaps slightly
longer engine life.

Randall