Re: [TR] removing gasket goo

To: sujit roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] removing gasket goo
From: "Glenn A. Merrell" <StagByTriumph@tscusa.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 17:38:56 -0600
sujit roy wrote:
> The stags oil pan is not completely flat on the top that mounts to the
> block. It like this ______/--------\____
>
> What product will remove gasket goo?   I've scraped off what I can with a
> knife , but there is  some stuff left on the sides which I can't get too
> very easily
>
> Sujit

It depends on what the "goo" actually is.  If it is silicon rubber/RTV
type material, you need to peel and scrape it off.  If it is a setting
hardening type, you can get a spray on gasket remover at any autoparts
store or chip it off with a sharp edged scraper like a wood chisel.  If
it is non setting Hylomar, you sort of roll it off sticking together
into a ball like rubber cement.

When you go to place your cork gasket on, go get the pressurized tube of
"The Right Stuff".  Make sure the edges of the pan are not bent by
checking it on a known flat surface.  Seal the cork gasket to the pan,
place it on a known flat surface (Formica kitchen counter top works
well) overnight with a cement block on top of it.  When you are ready to
bolt the pan in place, spread a thin coat of The Right Stuff on the top
side of the cork gasket then install the pan onto the block.

Alternatively, you can use The Right Stuff as a complete cork gasket
replacement, your pan will never leak if it is straight.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)