[TR] TR6 Problem > TR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR6 Problem > TR4A
From: Brian Jones <banc8004@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 05:17:15 -0400
> Have a similar problem on my TR4A.  Friday night on the way to meet
> fellow
> club members for fish and chips, the car sputtered to a stop.
> Sounded like it
> was out of gas, gauge showed 1/4 tank.  Put another gallon in.  It
> would almost
> catch, seem to cough on a cylinder or two.  Tried a spare cap,
> rotor and wires
> and check points, no difference.  Flat bed home.  Now, I've changed
> coils,
> checked ignition timing and gone through the carbs.  Compression
> checked at 175
> to 180 lbs.  I'll pick up a new condenser tomorrow.  Any thoughts
> or ideas on
> what else I should try?
>
> Rodney Ford

Well, you need three things to fire; spark, fuel and compression, and
you've confirmed the compression.

Sputtering to a stop sounds like fuel starvation. Do you have fuel at
the carbs? If not, check pump and fuel filter.

If fuel is OK, it must be electrical. Do you have a spark at the
plug? All plugs? Are the plugs fouled? Is the dizzy OK? Is the low-
tension wire at the coil OK? I've read here that they are prone to
failure. Is your engine ground OK?

Let us know how you get on.

Brian
TR4