Re: [TR] TR3A Alternator Conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Alternator Conversion
From: "Mike Welch" <spitfire@freebacon.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:30:18 -0700
I did the alternator conversion to my '69 Spit, really straight forward.  I
used one of the Delco (sorry, too cold to go outside and take pictures<g>).
The 7127-3 means that the connectors are at the 3 o'clock position, 7127
should be with connectors at 12 o'clock, 7127-6...you should get the idea.
The position of the connectors is entirely up to you, just make sure that
there is enough clearance for the connector and the wires.  If you were
concerned about originality and the factory connector position you probably
wouldn't be thinking about this conversion<g>  The internal regulator is
also very convenient,
I was able to get the alternator at the correct fore-aft position, using the
original mounting hardware, by switching the order of the mounting bolts and
that big nut (don't know if the TR3 has a similar setup).  My alternator
came with a pulley that was slightly smaller than the one from the
generator.  I used that pulley (the alternator spec said that it would
output 13.5 v at 800 rpm for the Chevy application I looked up, I get 13.5
at about 750 rpm). The only piece other than the alternator that I had to
buy was the adjustment arm, which was an off-the-shelf item at the local
parts store.
I'm very happy with the conversion.  60 amp is plenty to power to run all
the accessories at the same time, lights, wipers, radio, fog lights.and
power inverter for charging laptop and cell phone, etc.  Switching to neg
ground was also uneventful.

> Here's the rub:  the alternator itself is a matter of some dispute.  I've
> read Nippondenso, Delco 7127, Delco 7127-3 (if this is different from a
> regular 7127?), Delco 10SI, Delco 12SI, and others.  I'm having a hard
> time

Mike Welch
'69 Spitfire MkIII
www.freebacon.net