[TR] Question about TR6 electrical system

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Question about TR6 electrical system
From: davgil@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:16:07 -0500
To the list intelligentsia,
Beautiful weather in North Georgia this weekend and I had the opportunity to
drive my '76 TR6.  Unfortunately the battery was discharged so I put the
battery charger on to get it started.  My battery charger has a start position
that is used in the event of a discharged battery.  (I believe that it is a 70
amp flow)  When I engaged the ignition switch, there was not enough power to
start the car, but it caused my fasten seat belt indicator light to come on and
the buzzer to sound for approximately 10 seconds.  As far as I can recall, this
buzzer has never sounded, regardless of whether or not my seat belt was
engaged.  I also noticed that there was a small amount of smoke released from
the negative battery terminal.  I tried several times over the next 30 minutes
with the same result for the buzzer but no further smoke.  I could not get the
car to start using the start function of the charger.  I left the charger on
all night with a 2 amp charge rate and the next morning the car started easily
and ran like a sewing machine.  The fasten seat belt light came on as usual,
but the buzzer never sounded.  I don't know if the release of the smoke
exorcized the buzzer gremlin since it sounded several more times, but it was a
very unusual experience.  Could the battery being so fully discharged cause a
dead or de-activated circuit to come into play?  I admit that my knowledge of
the TR6 electrical system is limited, but this has me baffled.  Any thoughts?
AOL Mail and more.

===     http://www.vtr.org