RE: [TR] exhaust analyzer?

To: "list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] exhaust analyzer?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:50:00 -0800
> I work at a Thrift Store.  Today we got in a rather unused engine exhaust
> analyzer.  (Carbon mono. measuring, I think)  It looks like it's from the
> 70's.
>
>  Although a friend told me that my 60 TR3 will not have to pass any kind of
> inspection in Georgia, I am wondering if this instrument might be useful to
> check my car's tune or will I even want to analyze my exhaust?

Not particularly useful, IMO, but might be fun to play with.  If it's really
that old, then there is virtually no chance it will be sensitive enough to read
CO from a modern emissions controlled engine ... which will make it about right
for a TR3.  But it won't tell you which carb needs to be adjusted, or if you get
one carb rich and the other lean.  The "lift the piston" test is simpler and
more accurate, IMO.

I like playing with old tools ... if you don't want it, I do.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org