Re: [TR] On the side of the road

To: arakelianp@mossmotors.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] On the side of the road
From: KPe9368405@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 05:04:14 EST
Had a similar, yet different, experience . . .
I was in grad school at the University of Colorado in 1967. Commuted from
Denver to Boulder every day.
So, I'm just exiting US 36 (the Turnpike) to enter Boulder when suddenly my
accelerator pedal is totally
ineffective - kind of just flapping in the wind. Open the hood and  determine
that the split pin that connects the accelerator
linkage in front of the battery either broke or fell out (or both). Yes, I
carried lots of spares with me, but nicht split
pins. I think I tried a cotter pin or wire. No joy - too much play. So I
started examining the terrain around the exit ramp
to see if God Himself had dropped a split pin recently. No split pin, but
there was a nail of a diameter similar, yet larger than the
split pin hole. Used my wire wheel hammer to drive it far enough into the
linkage hole to work.
Now here's the interesting part: That nail is still in the linkage after 40
years! I'm thinking of having it chromed or at least powder coated.
Show judges have never spotted it, or never said they did. I'm afraid to
remove it lest I bring on nuclear winter or something.

Ken
'63 TR4 since '63

===     http://www.vtr.org