Re: [TR] How much oil do you put in

To: adrianjones747@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] How much oil do you put in
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:10:34 EST
In a message dated 1/1/2007 9:44:30 AM Central Standard Time,
adrianjones747@earthlink.net writes:
> Here's something I've been thinking about.  How much oil do you put in your
> engine?  I have always kept it at the Full mark but maybe the optimium
> amount would be halfway or even at the Add mark.  I've read that too much can
>rob
> horsepower because the crankshaft has to slosh its way through it.  During
> winter I think I can do without the extra cooling that the oil provides.

The full mark is the maximum level.  Going much above that will cause the
crankshaft to strike the oil in the sump causing the problem you mentioned.  It
will also foam up the oil which will have a detrimental effect on the oil
pressure.

The lower mark is typically 1 qt below the top mark (although on some cars it
is two qts down).  The sump is designed to operate satisfactorily anywhere in
this range.

I don't bother adding less than full quarts of oil so if the level is between
the two marks I leave well enough alone.  When I change the oil sometimes an
even number of quarts will leave the level between the marks.  No problem.
When it gets down to the lower mark I then add a quart.  The engine was
designed
for this kind of maintenance so there is no benefit to topping up the sump if
it is less than a quart down.

After owning the car a while you will get a handle on oil consumption and
will know when to expect the need to add.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org