Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Packing an oil pump
From: jar@aldermanroad.net
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:47:48 -0500
The trick in rebuilding an engine is the use of a special grease on all
the journals during reassembly.  This includes cam bearings and lobe
faces, rocker bearings, mains and rods, wrist pins, etc.  You should be
able get the grease at a NAPA or similar store, especially one that
supports a machine shop.  What makes this grease special is its load
bearing capability and that it rapidly dissolves into the new oil with
no noticable effect on the oil.  If you can't find that, then use a good
molybdenum "white" grease.

The cylinder walls should be wiped down with 30 W oil, and the pistons
likewise. The timing chain, gears, oil pump interior, distributor shaft,
etc. should all be coated with 50W (usually a "racing") oil.

One other "trick" is not to install the distributor until the engine is
ready to start.  Take an old distributor shaft minus the driving gear,
attach a drill, then spin the oil pump to fill all the oil galleries.
However, this can be a bit difficult because old shafts are not so
common,  I have heard of folks actually making a dummy shaft to do
this.  A bit on the complicated side.

Another trick is to remove the spark plugs, the just spin the engine for
five or ten seconds.  This will pretty effectively fill all the oil
galleries prior to the first run.

If you do all this, you should have no worries when starting the engine.

Cheers.