Re: [TR] Dorsey the Door Dodo

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, "list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Dorsey the Door Dodo
From: "THOMAS FANSHER" <tfansher@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:01:14 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
To: "list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:40 PM
Subject: [TR] Dorsey the Door Dodo

> List,
> I took the driver's side door off my TR3 last night.  Something was
> rattling in it.  Turns out the DOOR CHECK ASSEMBLY had fallen inside the
> door.  It looks ok so i'll reinsert it with the very slight angle turned
> towards the middle of the car- let me know if this is incorrect?

It attaches to two more holes on a very short stalk from between where the
door hinges screw into the body - "A" post -I think it's called.  The hole
in the pop-cycle stick fits between these two holes (bracket)  - I have a
#10 machine screw in mine.  It acts to check the outward movement of the
door and keep it from creasing the front fender if it opens too far.

> I am unaware of what it attaches to.  It looks about like a shortened
> pop-cycle stick w/ hole at one end and a big stopper at the other end.
> What does the hole attach to?  Somewhere, I think I've heard of a
> 'check-strap', (what is that?)

> I can't get the screws out of the door latch, and since it looks good, I
> think I just leave it alone.  In fact, the only sign of rust anywhere on
> the inside of the door is the long area of the skin (?) just under where
> one might lay there arm while driving.  I think POR-15 will take care of
> this ok.
>
> One pecular thing to me is the key situation.  Both keys go into the door
> handle and turn, I think, but neither one does anything.  One key is
> squarish at the top, and the other roundish.  Both are small. The keys
> given to me by the PO have numbers on them and might be original.  I've
> never had it running or locked so, I know nothing.  Please help.

Keys are always sloppy, my TR3 key works well in the TR4 and the key I
usually use for the TR4 is from an old gas golf cart.  The numbers are
supposed to mean something and there is someone on the list with the ability
to cut keys from the numbers on the locks. I forget who.  If the keys seem
to work they are probably fine, new tumblers are available with new keys. I
have no idea if they are better in the long run.  Maybe that hidden battery
cut off switch is a good idea ;^)
Tom
61 TR3A
62 TR4