Re: [TR] Ebay TR3B - need help

To: TR250Driver@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Ebay TR3B - need help
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:53:37 EST
In a message dated 11/16/2006 6:35:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
TR250Driver@aol.com writes:

Listers,
There is a 3B for sale on ebay, Item number:  300048598427.  It is Signal Red
and fitted with Strommies.  A  young Lady I know is very interested in buying
it.  Evidently the car  was restored 9 years ago in Mass. then spent some
time
in Albany, NY and  is now in Buffalo, NY.  Are any of you familiar with this
car?   Could you offer a recommendation of any sort?
Any help would be greatly  appreciated!
Thanks,
Darrell & Rene

Darrel,
I have looked at it closely and am, frankly, undewhelmed. The red  paint is
shiny and fresh-BUT-if you look at the earlier pictures you'll see that  the
body had lots of "surface" rust before the restoration. Tthat rust has to be
totally removed and the surface properly treated to have a good lasting finish.

(I bought an E Type project car 5 years ago which looked just like this car
did with the grey primer on it. After it got into th body shop and was
stripped,  rust was growing under the filler and primer.) It takes a lot of
effort to
have  done tis right. For a "restoration" with overspray on cables, heater
not even  connected, signs of an overheating radiator etc. I just don't think
the owner  went to the trouble to make this vehicle reliable and safe.
Why in the world would he not install the cylinders before offering  it?
I would look further, or be prepared to have a rolling restoration.

Best, Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org