Re: [TR] Need some differential help please!

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Need some differential help please!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@onwight.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 00:15:49 -0000
Hi
First of all I have been made aware that most CW pinion sets around today
are not pairs. That is the gears were originally lapped together as a crown
wheel and pinion pair during manufacture, these days they are mainly odds
and sodds found laying around and put with a counterpart of the same ratio
to make a pair, I was advised by the engineer that using such a pair would
have a great likely hood of creating a new diff that whined and perhaps even
louder than what you have. If it was mine and dependant on the volume of the
whine I would replace the bearings and seals and fit new spacers behind the
planetary gears to reduce the backlash, fit new oil and be happy that the
diff will hold that oil and that whilst it holds the oil it may whine a bit
but will last for ages.
I have a 2000 saloon which has had this treatment and I drive real hard down
country roads and have a lot of fun, the diff still whines though less
loudly than before the treatment!

Graham.