Re: [TR] TR3 Questions

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Questions
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 05:33:52 -0700
> Determining an original bumper could be difficult as the difference in
> quality (I think) is in the quality/quantity of plating used on some of
> the repros.  Personally, my original bumper was pretty beat up and the
> replacement I got seems to be fine (five years now).

I have some original plated parts on my TR that still have good plating.

I have soma parts I have had professionally replated in the US that look
very nice.

I have reproduction chrome parts that started showing rust sports almost
before I finished rebuilding the parts.

My advice is:

If your old part is is good condition except for the plating have it
replated in the US and pay for the highest quality chrome plating they
offer.  It will likely cost more than buying a reproduction part but the
part is original quality and will last.

If your old part is missing or just in too poor a shape, buy a
reproduction then pay to have it rechromed with a high quality process.

By being cheapskates we have forced out parts suppliers to go to ever
cheaper sources and corners get cut to bring us the low prices we insist
upon.  Prepping a part for chrome and assuring it is totally rust free
takes time.  Quality chroming is expensive.  Traditionally we do not
want to pay for it when we buy replacement parts.

Whatever you decide to do, put chrome polish with a wax on it right
away, and repolish chrome frequently to help protect it from the elements.

> As for the grille (grills are for steaks) see the pic in this link...
>
> http://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/grilles.JPG

I have a jpeg of two grilles side by side.  The differences might be
easier to see. It is on a page about overheating.  The reproduction
grille openings are 24% smaller than the original openings.

www.tjwakeman.net/TR/FAQ_grill.html

TeriAnn

===     http://www.vtr.org