Re: [TR] TR4A Restoration Update

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Restoration Update
From: "Skip Gurnee" <skip47@powernet.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:39:37 -0700
> I will need a new pulley if I go to a modern alternator, in place of the
old
> Lucas dynamo. If I'm not mistaken, most compatible alternators will use a
> belt wider than the original pulley can handle, thus making it necessary
> replace. If anyone has a good experience doing this, I'd love to hear back
> from you with some advice, tips, etc.
>
> If I have to replace the pulley, then I am probably going to have to
replace
> the water pump for the same reason. While I am completing the last two
major
> items I will start looking into sending the gearbox out for someone else
> rebuild. I just don't have the tools or space to pull this off.

Rather than replacing two pulleys from the Triumph to suit one pulley on the
alternator, maybe you could replace the pulley on the alternator.  With the
old TR generator pulley maybe?  Also, you'll have to be concerned with
alignment, and rather than changing water pump and crankshaft, it 's easier
to do that with the alternator brackets.

Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4, 66 TR4A, et al.

===     http://www.vtr.org