[TR] Green Stuff Brake Pads

To: "'Triumphs list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Green Stuff Brake Pads
From: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:20:53 -0700
Hello,
I recently installed a set of EBC "Green Stuff" brake pads on my 59
TR3A.   This car sees only regular street driving, with the very
occasional "fast road" use.  I bedded-in the pads as per the
instructions, and they have now have seen about 250 miles.  The pads
seem to grab about the same as the old set; not dramatically better as
promised in the ads, but I have no real complaint in that area.  The
complaint I do have, however, is with brake squeal - the pads squeal
long and LOUD when the brakes are moderately applied.  They are OK when
the brakes are applied vigorously, but for normal around town driving
the squeal is driving me nuts.  I applied some blue anti-squeal goop I
purchased from the local auto parts chain store and got only slightly
less squeal.  Do the anti-squeal shims (available at the same store)
work any better?  Is the squeal just a function of the pad (Kevlar, I
think) composition?  Are these pads formulated strictly for the track,
and am I just using them in the wrong arena by driving around town?
Anyone else have any experience with the Green Stuff pads used for
regular street driving?  I'm definitely frustrated.  At this rate I may
just pitch the green pads, pop in the old pads (County brand) which are
pretty old but have plenty of meat left, and chalk it up as an expensive
lesson learned.
Thanks, Dennis

===     http://www.vtr.org