Re: [TR] Luggage rack mounting without holes in the trunk

To: jimhearn1@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Luggage rack mounting without holes in the trunk
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:21:44 EDT
I have given this some thought for my TR6 as I would like the occasional
carrying capacity but not the permanent look.  If you study the way the  rack
is
mounted you will see that it is drilled straight down into the top of  the
lid.  It would seem to me to fashion a two straps that hook over  the top edge
of
the lid (cushioned of course) and then hook over the trailing  edge of the
lid (again, cushioned) but is raised up off the balance of the  lid.  This
'strap' would be in two pieces with a threaded device  (bolt, threaded rod) in
the
middle.  You would hook the strap to the top of  the lid, hook it on to the
trailing edge of the lid and tighten the threaded  device so it is tight.  To
that you would mount the rack.  Actually  you would mount the rack before the
whole device goes on so the  rack and the straps would be stored as one unit
when not on the  car. This is the same principle as the old fashioned roof
racks
that  clamped to the rain gutters (when cars had rain gutters) only much more
discreet.
There is a caveat here.  The slight movement and vibration is likely  to
scuff the paint a little where it rests so proper cushioning is  necessary.

===     http://www.vtr.org