RE: [TR] tr3 wiper wiring

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] tr3 wiper wiring
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:54:16 -0700
> Next question- How to test the wiper motor.
> On the motor, there are 3 slide-on terminals.  Two of them are kinda boxed
> togather. I believe one of the have a "1" stamped above it.  I've not wired
> the car but have a 12v jump box.
>
> My guess is to ground the third (non-boxed) terminal.  Then touch the "1"
> boxed terminal would be the slow wiper speed.  The next boxed terminal would
> be the fast wiper speed.  Correct?

Nope, what you have described is the standard, single speed wiper for a TR3-4.
The extra terminal is used for the self-parking feature.

I forget offhand which terminal is which (and someone may have switched them
internally anyway).  But if you connect 12v across terminals 1 and 2, the motor
should run continuously.

Use your ohmmeter to find out which terminal has the lowest resistance to the
contact on the top of the gear housing, that terminal is the one that goes to
the wiper switch.  The other terminal gets 12v from the green wire (which is
fused, switched "ignition" voltage).  You're right about the third, plain
terminal being the ground (which is only used for parking).

If you have the later style motor without the exposed contact on the top of the
gear housing, then try checking the voltage between each terminal and ground,
with the motor running.  The park contacts will short one terminal to ground
periodically (meaning you should read 12v from ground to the other terminal).
The one that gets shorted to ground goes to the switch.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org