RE: [TR] TR3A head rebuild advice

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A head rebuild advice
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:37:08 -0700
> I don't know what is involved in removing the old guides, is it
> practical to
> transfer them to the other head Or would it be cheaper to just
> buy new ones?

IMO better to buy new ones.  Odds are that the modified head has the bronze
valve guides, which crush as they are pressed into place (and usually need
to be reamed afterwards).

> Does this sound like a reasonable approach (for someone who would like to
> avoid going wild on spending for all the killer upgrades)?

Personally, I'd try to make the shaved head work first.  Open up the
combustion chamber as outlined in several of the "preparation" manuals and
plan on burning premium.  But your approach would be OK, I guess.

Tell you what, new valves and guides come to about $120 ... I'll give you
that for the shaved head <g>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org