[TR] RE: Installing U-Joints

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] RE: Installing U-Joints
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:40:40 -0400
List,
First of all, I want to thank everyone who responded to my dilemma! I only
ruined one u-joint before I solved my problem.
Here is what happened..
Well, I tried the "tapping hammer method" first. The problem there is that
no matter how gentle you tap, bearing rollers fall out and lay on the bottom
because you still have to the cap hard enough to make it move into the yoke.
Yes, I did grease up the bearings first..
Next, I tried the "vise" method. I have a 6" vise which is plenty big enough
to insert the complete u-joint and yoke assembly plus a socket in the jaws.
The problem there is that the vise is open so far that the jaws tend to arc
apart so the cap is forced into the yoke crooked. Also, you have to hold
everything in a horizontal plane which is cumbersome for one person.
I ended up buying a 6 ton vertical press from Harbor Freight for $60.00. It
worked perfect. Someone had suggested that I just take all the pieces to a
drive shaft shop and have them assemble everything. I figured that would
cost at least $60.00 so this way I got them assembled and ended up with a
new tool!
I didn't even have to use the jack handle on the little hydraulic jack that
comes with it. Just finger pressure worked. I was able to stack the whole
assembly on the bottom plate of the press in a vertical axis position and it
just went right in. I am only sorry I didn't get it sooner. I still have to
assemble the other end of the half shaft to the rebuilt hubs and the drive
shaft needs to have it's universals swapped out. I will wait a little while
until I do that. Still have to get the chassis welded up so I can paint it
and get started on getting it back together.
The press was nice since I could control the speed of how it went together
and there was no sudden jarring impacts or angled insertions of the bearing
cups to screw me up.
I updated my website with pictures of the press if you are interested.
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a
Go to the Progress page and click on the top half shaft link.
Thanks again to everyone who responded! Hope this helps somebody else.
Dave Connitt

===     http://www.vtr.org