RE: [TR] TR6 front end vibration

To: <robertrudolphi@netscape.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 front end vibration
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:15:03 -0400
Hi Robert:

When you say rotating, do you mean left to right swap, or back to front?

If this vibration came on suddenly then perhaps you hit a pothole or foreign
object and bent a rim. Try swapping with your spare one at a time until you
find the guilty rim. Of course, your rim may be the worst of the lot, but
jacking up one point of the car at a time and spinning the wheel can tell you
something too.

I was driven half mad with similar situation that was only resolved after I
sent the rims off for straightening.

It is surprising how little a bend can cause this highway vibration. One of my
nice newly straightened rims got a bend on the inside edge during tire
installation. Less than an eighth of an inch bend in just the outer edge of
the rim, seemingly not near affecting the tire bead, but the vibration started
to come right back. Fortunately a bit of thumping with a hammer (on the tire
technician if I had really followed my feelings) put things right and the
vibration went away. Now I watch potholes (in Montreal that's a full-time job)
quite carefully.

Cheers,

Mark