Re: [TR] the natural balance of straight six engines - why??

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] the natural balance of straight six engines - why??
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 13:37:56 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/2006 3:56:52 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> I disagree, Dave.  The 'unbalance' is not in the firing order, but in the
> vibration caused by the reciprocating components.  The "balance shafts"
> present in most modern engines not of the in-line 6 variety are witness to
> the reality of this.  VW has even gone so far as to create an "almost
> in-line" 6 cylinder.

Then why is the V6 in my Taurus a smoother engine than the inline 6 in my
TR6?  (and there is no hint of a balance shaft in the OHC engine in a 97
Taurus)
Of course the answer is that balancing the rotating components has a bigger
effect than layout.    When someone suggests that the TR6 is inherently
balanced due to the inline configuration is glossing over the fact that most
70's
vintage engines (save the exotic, expensive ones) were not very well balanced.
Hence sales BS.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org