RE: [TR] TR3 MC Clutch MC to slave adapters needed

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 MC Clutch MC to slave adapters needed
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:14:44 -0700
> I am about to connect the line from the Master Cylinder to the Clutch Slave
> Cylinder.  I am trying to think this thru as I've never seen it done on a
> Triumph before.  Was that line was originally 5/16" or 3/8"- can someone tell
> me?

The original TR3 line was much smaller, 3/16" OD I think.  Might be 1/4" but not
as big as 5/16".

>  Anyway, I think the PO installed a red plastic translucent tube with
> alum. ends.  I think prievously I learned that this was TR6 line- it might
> also be 5/16 or 3/8".

Considering how much clutch trouble TR6s seem to have, you might consider going
back to the original steel line.

>     The biggest change is the size of one of the ends.  This plastic red TR6
> line can be reused, it fits the master cylinder ok, but is too big for the
> Girling Clutch Slave Cylinder's female holes.  I am sure NAPA will have
> suitable adapters- I think!

No idea.

> I wonder since this Clutch line was plastic, if I could also use plastic or
> rubber on the brake lines?

Only if you don't plan to ever drive the car, or more accurately, stop it.

>  I have a feeling that's a stupid question- you
> have to admit that a left foot stomp is as strong as the right foot's stomp.
> Right?

I admit no such thing.  The pressure in the clutch system is limited by how much
force it takes to compress the springs in the pressure plate.  Much lower than
the maximum pressure in the braking system, which is limited only by how strong
your right leg is.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org