[TR] Oil pressure

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Oil pressure
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 14:45:49 -0700
OK, the oil pressure at idle on my 1971 TR6 with 140,000 miles I've put
on this motor, after it is fully warmed up, is just over 1 kg on the
gauge.  That comes out to about 15 psi.  At 1500 rpm pressure jumps to
50psi; at speed, 3200rpm, she runs just over 5 kg, which works out to
about 70psi.
Now back in the day we used to say that British sports cars should hold
35-40psi at idle and mine did until a few years ago. When I had the head
rebuilt pressure dropped off a little.
I've been following the thread about oil film on the pressure relief and
since I had to change the oil and I do run Castrol 20w-50, I figured I'd
check it out.
The relief valve plunger showed some yellow discoloration (Ah-Hah I
said) and some signs of roughness along the edges and a couple of shiny
spots.  So what the hell I just replaced the plunger and spring.
Made no difference to the pressure situation.
I soaked the old plunger in parts dip for about 3 hours - no change to
coloration.
I have talked with a few friends that say I have no problems,  but the
low idle pressure bothers me.  Am I wrong to be bothered?  The car runs
smooth as silk, with no engine rattles.

Peter Arakelian - Daily driver

===     http://www.vtr.org