RE: [TR] O/D switch connections

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] O/D switch connections
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 22:18:02 -0700
> Actually, I'd prefer to mount a button, not a lever, in my wooden gearshift
> knob for an A type OD.  Does anybody now the switch specifications that I
> could use to source a non-original type switch as this?  I know they exist
> because my '59 TR3A body off resto project OD tranny came with a pool
> cue-ball knob with a button switch (which I can use again if I have to).

The A-type uses a relay, so the current through the switch is very small.
Anything rated for 12vdc and 0.1 amps or more should do fine.

However, you'll need to either find a "push-push" switch, which is pretty rare,
or install some kind of logic device to be operated by the switch.  The vast
majority of push-button switches only make contact while you hold the button
down, and you probably don't want to have to hold the switch all the time.

I've seen someone on eBay selling such a logic device specifically for British
overdrives, but don't recall the name offhand.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org