[TR] re Fall in to the GAP

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] re Fall in to the GAP
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:17:45 EST
Rich
you don't say HOW you gapped your rockers.
Typical feeler gauge might give you false reading (the broad gauge type can
'bridge' any worn-in steps in rocker's tip)
You might try a 'wire' type feeler gauge to eliminate bridging the worn-in
spots.
Or eliminate using a gauge by getting one of those handy Snap-On or
ClikAdjust 'valve adjuster' tools. You turn the Snap-On tool knob (1/4 turn
equals
exactly .010") or on the ClikAdjust each 'click' equals .002".
Other than that - even in perfect tune - it's not uncommon to hear the
rockers a rocking.. hopefully each tap sounds identical (no odd-ball loud
tappers!)
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Last weekend I adjusted the gap on my valves on the TR4. Got it all
done...new gasket, etc. I still have a slight tap. Is this a native sound for
the
TRactor motor to have a slight tap, or can I probably get a finer adjustment,
maybe
with a shield around the rockers and the engine running.. (rodeo style)?
Thanks for the consult,
Rich
61 TR4 CT 1438 L

===     http://www.vtr.org