Re: [TR] setting the points ASAP PLEASE

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] setting the points ASAP PLEASE
From: "pethier@isd.net" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:21:39 -0600
> List I'm waiting,
>
> I may have forgotten my teenage self-taught auto basics!
>
> I'm trying to set the points in my distributor.  So... If
> the .015" gap occurs at the 4 'corners' of the cam, then
> shouldn't the points actually touch when the 'brush' is
> not resting on those corners?

Yes.  When the cam follower is at the low spot on the cam,
the points are completely closed and the cam follower is no
tcouching the cam.  The timing point is when the points
begin to open and break the electrical connection.  This is
why they are called "breaker points".

1962 TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1994 Miata
C package
pethier@isd.net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier