Re: Valve Adjustment

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment
From: "Kurtis" <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:17:49 -0600
> But since it's the factory
> procedure, I always set my valves with the "on rock" method.  I find it
> easier, especially since you only have to position the engine 4 times,
> rather than 8 with the "rule of 9" method given in the Haynes manual.

Can't you pretty much do this with the "rule of 9" method as well (position
the engine just 4 times).  Without thinking about it too hard (and making my
head hurt), don't you end up with two valves open at roughly the same time?
For example, when No. 1 is fully open, No. 3 is very nearly fully open as
well.  Seems that based on the "rule of 9" that you could adjust both the
No. 8 and the No. 6 at that point.  At least that's the way I do it.  Of
course I usually end up repositioning the engine just a little to make sure
the No. 3 *is* fully open prior to setting the No. 6.

Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L
1959 AH Bugeye - AN5L23250