Re: Battey relocation (was: Optima battery)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battey relocation (was: Optima battery)
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:03:14 EST
Hi Lou and Steven,
  I've relocated the battery for several reasons. One reason, it's heavy and
sits high in the car... moving the weight rearward and downward helps the
car's overall balance. Another is by moving it I gain significant room under
the
hood for other things. One thing that will mount there is a sump catch tank.
Also I'm considering adding an Accusump and may go to a full electronic
ignition. The battery tray is a good location for any of these. For anyone who
might
also be considering it, a battery inside the passenger compartment *must* be
enclosed in a sealed container for safety reasons. The battery container is
easily vented externally, though, when located behind a TR's passenger's seat.
Another concern, I'm looking at a set of vintage rally seats and am concerned
they might not allow room for a Group 54.  There are smaller "race" batteries
available, but they are three times the cost of a standard Group 54.
  Alan Myers
  San Jose, Calif.
  '62 TR4 CT17602L
> The only reason my TR4 won't be getting an Optima is I'll be using a
> smaller (Group 54?) mounted in a sealed box behind the passenger's seat,
instead of the engine compartment.
Alan:
Curiosity got the best of me so I just gotta ask - why the battery behind
the seat?
Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

===     http://www.vtr.org