Re: TR6 Gears Acting Funny

To: SCain@aecc.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Gears Acting Funny
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:07:16 EDT
In a message dated 9/9/2005 9:23:09 AM Central Standard Time, SCain@aecc.com
writes:
> I drove my '71 TR6 around last night with no problems whatsoever.  This
> morning when putting it in reverse it grinded pretty bad - almost as if
> I didn't have the clutch disengaged.  Then I had a lot of trouble
> getting it into first and second.  But, I didn't have a problem getting
> it into third and fourth.  I drove most of the way to work in third and
> fourth - no OD.
>
> Regarding first and second, it's as if I simply can't find the slot to
> put the gear shifter in.  There is no grinding associated with putting
> the car in first or second when I finally get it done.  I noticed that
> with the engine off, I have absolutely no problem putting the car in any
> gear.

It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging.  Check the fluid in the
reservoir.  If it is low you probably have air in the system and need to bleed
it.  Also check the linkage on the pedal and the linkage on the transmission
for looseness.

The worst case scenario is the broken taper pin on the clutch throw out
bearing fork which will require the removal of the transmission.  There's been
lot of traffic lately about making this occurrence less likely in the future so
make note just in case this is the problem.

Dave