Leaking carb float

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking carb float
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:26:14 +0200 (CEST)
List,

It's been a while. I've been busy with other things and now I'm about
2,500 messages behind. :-(

Anyway, I had the opportunity to take out my TR3A today. It ran great, but
soon started to reek of fuel. Upon opening the bonnet, I noticed a stream
of fuel coming from the overflow tube on the front H6 carb, which turned
out to be caused by a leaking brass float. Here are some pictures:

   http://www.xs4all.nl/~ekieboom/float/

As you can see, it's full of hairline cracks. There are at least a dozen
all along its circumfence and two of them go right across the joint.

A therapeutic session with a hairdryer leaves me with an empty, but still
leaky float. So here are the questions:

Is it common for floats to fail like this?

Could I have any luck soldering all those cracks up? I have a big 250W
electric iron with which I've managed to fix a steel fuel tank in the
past, but I'm no soldering artist. Perhaps heat it up a bit and roll it in
a bath of solder? I dunno - I'd be very grateful for any ideas from those
that have been there and done that.

Eric

--
'57 TR3A TS23315L