Re: oil for a new engine

To: scherer_william@hotmail.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil for a new engine
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:53:45 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/2005 10:29:27 PM Central Standard Time,
scherer_william@hotmail.com writes:
>   I  have a newly rebuilt engine that is ready to be broken in.  How often
> should I change oil  &filter  and what kind of modern oil is recommended
> for these engines.  My old service manual says 30 weight oil in the summer,
> but I'm thinking 10W40 might keep the engine cooler.  Any suggestions?

Common practice is to fill it with a light weight oil first.  I like to run
the oil pump until oil is coursing through all the passages and I get oil
pressure and see oil weeping from the rockers.  This can be done by pulling the
plugs and running the engine on the starter for a few minutes.  Another way is
pull the distributor and turn the pump with a drill.

If you have a new camshaft and lifters, start the engine and run at 2000 RPM
slowly increasing to 3000 over a 20 minute period.  switch off and drain the
oil and change the filter.  Some strain the oil through a strainer to check for
bits of engine.  Change the filter and refill with fresh oil and drive for
about 50 miles.  Change oil and filter and drive for 1000 miles.

I use progressively heavier oils at each step.  Folks have recommended not
using synthetic oils until after some 5000 miles have be covered which makes
sense.

Other recomendations include varying the engine speed during the first 500
miles avoiding prolonged periods of constant speed.  Slowly increasing the
maximum speed to redline over that period (in other words short bursts of
acceleration followed by an upshift).  during the first 50 miles short burst of
full
throttle which will help seat the rings.

All of the above probably helps and certainly doesn't hurt.  And it will give
you a good feeling that you did the best you could.

Dave